Free School Meals
As part of a government initiative all children in Early Years and Key stage one are entitled to a free school meal.
Claiming For Free School Meals
If you think your child may qualify for Free School Meals, please read the following information so that you can begin to start the claim process
Why Should I Claim Free School Meals?
It is really important, that if you feel you may be entitled to claim for Free School Meals, that you do so. This is because there is additional government funding awarded to the school, called the Pupil Premium, which is awarded to schools according to the number of children in receipt of Free School Meals. This means that claiming for Free School Meals could also help your child receive other benefits at school. Therefore, if you do feel you are entitled to claim, it is very much in your, your child and the school’s interest that you do make this claim. You can even claim and then not take the school hot dinner if your child does not like it; or, your child can just have the school dinners on the days they wish to.
Who is eligible for Free School Meals?
The current criteria for claiming free school meals are that you must be in receipt of one or more of the following;
- Income Support (IS).
- Employment and Support Allowance (Income Based).
- Child Tax Credit, provided the annual taxable income, as assessed by the Inland Revenue is not in excess of £16,190. (Families who also receive an award of Working Tax Credit do not qualify to claim for free school meals.
- The Guarantee element of State Pension Credit.
- Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999.
- Children who receive Income Support (IS) or Income Jobseekers Allowance in their own right are also entitled to receive free school meals.
In addition, there is also a temporary qualification for free school meals.
From 1st May 2009, where a parent has been entitled to Working Tax Credit during the four-week period immediately after their employment ceases, or after they start to work less than 16 hours per week, they will be eligible to claim free school meals over that period.
How Do I Claim Free School Meals?
To make a claim for Free School Meals, download and complete the form.
Once completed, please return the form to:
School Food Support Service
Tel: 0116 305 6588