PE and Sport Premium/ Swimming
We believe that PE (Physical Education) is vital to a child’s physical development and well-being. All pupils at Somerby Primary School receive a broad and balanced PE curriculum in the following areas:
Outdoor and adventurous activities
Children are taught to appreciate the importance of a healthy and active body as part of the curriculum in PE as well as in science and Personal, Social and Health Education (PSHE).
We maintain our Healthy Schools status.
The PE and Sport Premium Grant
The government gives money to schools (called the PE and Sport Premium) to improve sport and PE, so that young people have the opportunity to live healthy and active lives. A positive experience of sport and physical activity at a young age can build a lifetime habit of participation.
Schools must use the funding to make additional and sustainable improvements to the quality of their PE, physical activity and sport.
This means that schools should use the premium to:
- develop or add to the PE, physical activity and sport that the school provides
- build capacity and capability within the school to ensure that improvements made now will benefit pupils joining the school in future years
Schools should use the premium to secure improvements in the following five key indicators.
- Engagement of all pupils in regular physical activity
- Profile of PE and sport is raised across the school as a tool for whole-school improvement
- Increased confidence, knowledge and skills of all staff in teaching PE and sport
- Broader experience of a range of sports and activities offered to all pupils
- Increased participation in competitive sport
Schools must produce a report each year to explain how they have spent the funding. The reports are below.